Surviving a slow moving storm sounds easy, doesn’t it? Well, it can be if you have a plan. Planning should begin before a hurricane develops.
The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June to November, and typically we see hurricane type storms towards the end of August. But it’s always important to pay special attention to any significant weather systems building in the Atlantic.
There are 4 key alerts:
- Tropical Storm Watch – storm conditions with sustained winds from 39-74 mph are possible
- Tropical Storm Warning – conditions are expected in our area
- Hurricane Watch – conditions are possible with sustained winds greater than 74mph and could reach our area within 36 hours
- Hurricane Warning – conditions are expected in our area within 24 hours or less
Establish a Family Disaster Plan that will last all season:
- Purchase bottled water. Enough to last several weeks. It doesn’t go bad and you can use it after the season is over.
- Buy new batteries
- Be sure your battery operated radio is working
- Have a family meeting to view your storm plan should you decide to stay in your home or what you will do in the event of an evacuation
- Make sure each family member has a list of responsibilities they must personally complete
- Have tape on hand should you need to tape window
- Establish an evacuation route and have maps ready and marked
- Check your flashlights to make sure they are working
- Check your first aid kit to make sure nothing has expired and you have everything you need in it
- Set up a Tool Box
- Stock your cabinets with nonperishable foods to last several weeks
- Stock up on paper products: Plates, napkins and plastic utensils
- Have a non-electric can opener with your supplies
- Have plenty of matches in a waterproof contained
- Designate a friend or family member outside of our area as a point of contact in the event you are separated and make sure everyone in your household has the information written and available in case of evacuation
- Agree on several places within your evacuation route that you can meet should you become separatedHaving these items prepared ahead of time eliminates the stress of heading to the store only to find the shelves are empty because you waited.
Having these items prepared ahead of time eliminates the stress of heading to the store only to find the shelves are empty because you waited.
Another tip: as part of your evacuation plan, you could map out a few campgrounds, purchase a tent and create a mini family vacation.